Random Post

Friday, June 22, 2012

The difference between Fifty yards and a Hundred



" I have done my best for the state, Prince Huei of Liang told Menciu. When the crops fail west of the river. I move the people east or bring grain from the east to relieve them. If the crops are poor in the east, I do the same. When I look at the rulers of other states, none of them does so much for his people as I do, yet their populations have not decreased, while mine has not inceased. Can you tell me why ? "

" Since Your Majesty loves fighting ", answered Mencius, " let me take an example from that. Once the drums sound, the troops engage the enemy. The those who are defeated abandon their armour and retreat, trailing their weapons behind them. Suppose one man runs a hundred yards and another man fifty, is the one who has fled only fifty right to laugh at the one who has fled a hundred ?"

" Of course not ", replied Prince Huei. He may not have gone a hundred yards, but he has turned tail just the same.

If your Majesty understands this, responded Mencius, you should not expect your population to be greater than that of any of the neighbouring states.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Post